Tuesday, August 18, 2009

How could I forget the love?

I got started on the Ratatouille and Herb Crusted Halibut as soon as I got home...at 8:30. I was hurried, exhausted and my inspiration had left me. But I was determined, so I decided to make a big meal in a little time.


I started with the Ratatouille because I knew that the ingredients needed to hang out with each other for at least an hour. I knew this and, at the same time, I also knew that if we wanted to eat before 11 they would realistically only cook together for about 30 minutes. Determined, I forged ahead anyway.

I heated olive oil in a dutch oven and began to chop like a mad woman. Red onion, garlic, eggplant, zucchini and fresh tomatoes. I chopped it all and threw in the onions first, then the garlic, next the eggplant, after that the zucchini and then the tomatoes. I salted and stirred and salted some more.

After it all cooked down I opened a can of whole tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce and tossed that in and for fun I followed with a can of chickpeas. The pot was cooking and bubbling and the ingredients seemed to be have a good time. But when I lowered my head next to the pot and inhaled a rush of boredom came over my senses.

It was time for the key players...that's right, the basil, rosemary, thyme and parsley. Like soldiers they marched in to save the day. Quickly I threw in a bunch of chopped fresh basil, crushed thyme, ground rosemary and dried parsley. As I stirred them in I could smell the flavor party begin. Then, for some extra added spice I tossed in a couple tablespoons of sweet paprika, a few dashes of hot cayenne pepper and more salt to taste.

I was exhausted and there was still fish to prepare. I really wanted to stop with the Ratatouille but I was on a mission. With a sigh and a smile I grabbed the halibut out of the bag, some plain bread crumbs from the pantry and went for the Dijon, butter and my key players.

I heated a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Added a handful of the key players to a bowl of plain bread crumbs, set them aside and melted two tablespoons of butter and stirred in a tablespoon of Dijon, then I mixed in another handful of my herbs for good form.

Then it hit me! I forgot to let the fish soak in milk while I cooked the Ratatouille. I was frustrated by that omission because soaking the fish really makes a difference in how it tastes (a great tip from my Mama Jane). But, I didn't have time for regret, so I washed and dried the fish and removed the skin. I sliced a pound of halibut into 6 chunks and salted each chunk with sea salt. Then I rubbed each piece of fish with the butter/herb/mustard mix and coated them with the breadcrumbs. After all 6 were buttered and breaded I took a minute to breathe and smell the Ratatouille. I took a taste and stirred the pot while the olive oil heated. It was tasting good, but needed time.


After the oil was hot into the pan the fish went, 3 chunks at a time.

The fish cooked to a golden brown while the Ratatouille bubbled. At about 10 pm I finally got to place a good bit of each dish on a plate with a generous slice of fresh french bread. Kamal and I were both relieved as we sat down to eat. We didn't have much to say as we were pretty tired. It is always sad when the excitement of the kitchen stays in the kitchen. But some nights that is just how it goes.

The meal was good but it was not great. In my rush to make the meal I had imagined all day I forgot the most key player of them all...the love. So, as I sit here, my eyes closing as I type, I am thinking about the next time I make Ratatouille and Herb Crusted Halibut. I promise myself I will take two hours or maybe even four and I will enjoy each smell and flavor that goes into the Ratatouille pot and onto the fish. I will add less determination and add more of my heart and soul. It will be the same idea but with more balance. Next time I make this meal I hope to take you on a true flavor adventure.

2 comments:

  1. hi
    i saw your posting julie powell's site. i love your blog. check out mine if you like. bestwishesmarie.blogspot.com, mine is pretty new, i need to get some great backrounds and things on there also.

    ReplyDelete